Being a strong source of energy, full of vitamins and minerals, you will be surprised of the great health benefits of eggplant.
Eggplant is full of vitamins and minerals. With only 27 calories per cup, eggplant is excellent source of dietary fibre, which can protect against type 2 diabetes, prevent cancer and lower cholesterol.
The vitamins from the eggplant consist primarily of vitamin A, B vitamins, folate and vitamin C.
It is also rich in minerals, providing a large quantity of magnesium, potassium, calcium and phosphorous.
If you are on a healthy diet plan, eating eggplants is a good choice, as it is full of fibre and water, helping the colon moving other foods along your digestive tract. Most of its calories are due to carbohydrates, but there is a small amount of protein as well.
One of the health benefits of eggplant is the fibre content which can improve digestion. This vegetable is even able to treat measles, alcohol dependence, gastritis.
Other health benefits of eggplants are:
- Prevent cancer. Research show that the eggplant juice contains trypsin, which is believed to help neutralize the cancer-causing cells.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease. The beta-carotene and other antioxidants from the eggplant are high enough on the skin of the eggplant, thus the risk of heart disease and stroke being reduced.
- Lower cholesterol. It is mainly due to the fibre which is excellent for inhibiting fat absorption of cholesterol. Inhibition of cholesterol in the body makes blood fat and cholesterol level decreased.
- Prevent diabetes. Eggplant extracts can inhibit an enzyme that causes type 2 diabetes by controlling glucose absorption and lowering blood pressure which can lead to hypertension.
- Lose weight. In addition to speeding up the metabolism process, eggplant can help in the fat burning process in the body, so for those of you who feel a lot of fat let’s start now trying to eat eggplant.
There are several tips when preparing the eggplant. It absorbs any liquid it comes in contact with while it cooks, especially oil. So be sure you don`t use too much oil. You might steam it instead of frying.
Another trick is to rub some salt into the cut eggplant and leave for about 15 minutes. It will take away some of the bitterness of the eggplant.